As computer users, it is good to have an idea of what our device is experiencing. Since most of us experience slowness in our computer sometimes or often times, this post aims to provide you with some relevant information. This way you better understand what is happening and could effectively decide on how to deal with it.
Important Thing to Remember:
- When videos or websites that take time to load, it doesn’t immediately mean that your computer is slow. The reason is most likely your slow internet connection.
Your computer is slowing down when you experience any of the following:
- Slow in opening programs
- Applications stall or hang while using
- Boot up process takes more time than the usual link:
Potential Reasons why your computer is running slow
- A full Hard Drive
- Too many processes running in the background
Problem with almost full hard drive
If your hard drive is almost full, it affects how your operating system writes and reads files, especially when it comes to writing files as it has to do a search and allocate process. The searching of certain space to write takes some time which means a slow computer experience.
What to do?
- Delete all unneeded files especially those downloads that you don’t use anymore
- Use a software to find duplicate files on your computer and remove them
- Uninstall programs you don’t use
- Use an external device for backup especially for photos, movies, and music
Too many Processes running in the background
Computer processes require a certain space in your RAM. That is why more running process requires not only computer power but also demands space from your short term memory – RAM.
Simple solution – Clear Startup from Unnecessary programs:
- Access Task Manager by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL
- Then click Task Manager
- Disable Programs that you don’t want to automatically start when you turn on your computer.
You will definitely feel a difference in start-up time after you disable a couple of applications there.
Final Note on Slow Computer:
To make sure that viruses and malware are not causing your computer to slow down. Install an antivirus program like AVAST and run a full scan.